Sunday, 18 March 2007

Dizzy pedestrians

There's a brilliant cycle path which goes from North Harrow tube to Rayners Lane tube and beyond. Well, mostly brilliant.... it has the usual inexplicable gaps like every other cycle path round here, and hugs lines of parked cars (in contravention of the Council's own highway code, but anyway...) As long as you don't get knocked down by a suddenly opening car door, it's so ace to have your own deliniated path away from the strange mercies and blind spots of speeding motorists.

That is, until a pedestrian decides they have right of way on your lovely green cycle path. I don't get it...? They amble along, seemingly blissfully unaware that cyclists can and will hurtle along at 20mph and can mangle you up worse than a car.

I was really enjoying whizzing along this lovely cycle path, when suddenly this girl pops out from between 2 cars, with her back to me, and starts walking along. I think - just a parp on my horn will do it. So I give it a parp. Nothing. By this time I'm braking really hard and going WOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! I think I must have just touched her calves with my wheel, and she turns round all shocked, and I realise she has an ipod on. She says "Oh, sorry, oh, I didn't see you there."

You're walking along a cycle path, lady! You should expect cycles to travel along said path!

Normally I am quite a mild-mannered, patient sort, but there is something about ipods that makes me want to pull the pretentious little white phones out of their owner's ears and give them a sound whipping. (Ahah! Don't you like my little double entendre there.)

Anyway, apart from that scary moment we had a lovely bike ride yesterday. We have an errant Synergie Ghibli (lovely little folding commuter mountain bike) and were trying to figure out what was wrong with her. We reckon it's a switch in the brake (as the brakes, thankfully, switch the motor off) which is too happy to turn on, and were trying to get it to behave. Now I think we just need to get a new microswitch and the problem will be solved.

No comments: